> City Resources
and Dining > Tips
How to be a proper guest in a restaurant?
- Inquire about the restaurant, the occasion and dress
- Make sure you understand the financial situation but
have money on your person regardless.
- Wait in the entry if you arrive first.
- When eating, try to keep pace with everyone else, and
take some time to speak to your neighbors. Give all your
table partners equal attention, if possible.
- Be moderate in all you do: drinking, eating, laughing,
talking and chewing.
- Thank everyone before you go.
- Tip the parking valet and the coat check folks on your
- If possible, get the host to order first. Then order
something right around the same price range.
- If your host has a drink, feel free to order one too.
The same goes for other courses, appetizers and desserts.
- You can always offer to pay for the wine, the tip or a
round of cocktails.
- Don't order either the most expensive or least expensive
- Don't apply makeup at the dinner table; powdering one's
nose, however, is acceptable